No, copywriting really isn't just about good spelling Friday September 15, 2017
It happened again.
I was at an event. The person in charge asked about my role and my business. I told him I was a copywriter, writing all kinds of content for businesses in Nottingham, the East Midlands and further afield.
His response? “Ah, so you’ll be watching out for spelling mistakes in our presentation!”
There it was again.
The old misconception. The one I’ve heard many times over the years I’ve been creating content for business: the one which says copywriting is pretty much about having no typos. Of course, that is an important part of it. But in a way, it is the very last part of the copywriting stage.
Saying that copywriting is just for good spelling is like saying that going mountaineering is simply about enjoying a great view.
While there’s no doubt that poor spelling will drag your content down, what about everything else involved with making it a success?
Good spelling is one thing but transforming information into content that people actually want to read is something else.
Copywriting. It’s about a lot more than A to Z.
Camilla Zajac, Green Light Copywriting, September 2017
- 20 danger points to avoid in copywriting for innovation
- 7 copywriting insights for business from 2018
- Which words matter to you? Watch the Green Light Copywriting video
- What's the best way to communicate in a changing world?
- 4 ways to get the best from your copywriter
- Smile! Why personality counts in content